07 November 2008

It's Snowing in the Amazon!

Ok, so not really, but this week has been a wierd mix of Amazon, Brazil, and snowflakes. Amazon.com, that is. If you don't already know, this is the place to shop for anything not handmade. Toys and DVDs are always cheaper than even sale prices anywhere else, shipping is free half the time, and you can find what friends and family really want by searching for anyone's wish list. Oh, and my brother works for Amazon.com designing the website or software or something like that, and he just got married and is expecting baby number one! So I'm doing my part to make sure his job is safe from budget cuts. This week I got half of my Christmas shopping done, saved a ton of money, and got free shipping! Now to start making all those handmade with love gifts!

A lot of the gifts I love to give are different ornaments every year. This year I decided to make snowflake ornaments, which I also sell at holiday crafts shows locally and in my online store. Here's a peek of the designs before I turn them into ornaments next week. I am pretty excited to design some for a contest in a few weeks for Bluegrass Etsy.
Oh, and speaking of Amazon, this week has been Brazil week in homeschool. I have learned a lot about the culture, government, wildlife, and of course, food! In this house projects usually have either art or food in them (or both). So here's the drink of the week, not alcoholic but jacked up with caffeine instead.


Brazilian Iced Chocolate


2 oz bakers (unsweetened) chocolate

1/4 cup pure cane sugar

1 cup double strength coffee, hot

2 1/2 cup milk

1 1/2 cup Coke, chilled


Whipped cream to top


Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Stir sugar into melted chocolate, and gradually add hot coffee while stirring constantly. Add milk and continue to stir until mixture is creamy and smooth. Cover and chill until cold, then stir in Coke. Serve over ice, and top with whipped cream if desired.


Enjoy!

No comments: